Monthly Archives: March 2009

Almost ready for a little clipping!

Everything is up, and the green basil and the chives are actually far enough along that I’m going to be able to start snipping a few bits of for cooking.

The “replace bulb” light is on, and it’s proving a challenge to get the bulbs up here due to insane shipping charges. I’m ordering a set, but I’m going to order more shipped free to my mom’s & bring them up next time I visit. Don’t need to spend over $20 to get two little bulbs mailed. Total rip-off.

Advertisements

New seedlings!

So far, three of the seven are up. The thyme was actually first, in 2 days (!), followed by the 2 basils on day 3. These weren’t the freshest seed pods, and they were just sealed in the box in plastic, so I’m pretty impressed.

New Round in the Aerogardens

It’s been a while. (Life intervened, which I may explain in a later post if I get to it.)

At any rate, the Aerogarden with herbs in it did well, the basils lasting until almost Christmas. I could have kept them going longer, but they’d sort of outgrown it and gotten woody. Also the roots had sort of grown everywhere, including into the pump & water level sensor it turned out. So I pulled the plug.

Today I started another set of seven (mint, 2 basils, dill, thyme, chives, and parsley). We’ll see if they do as well as the last lot.

I’m planning to get the other one going on mesclun, I think. The tomatoes were OK, but they’ve got a new model with about a foot of extra height, and I think that would be the ticket for tomatoes. I really need to find a place for about 3-4 more of these & we could do pretty welll.